Home Sweet Home

Work is complete at my apartment.  Oh no! I don’t mean the roof…  They are taking their own sweet time – I heard some hammering on Friday and a little this morning.  But the workers – all two of them – had plugged a microwave into a circuit in the lobby and were making lunch as I walked out.

No, I meant my own little 400 square foot – well 430 square foot (I really should add that last 30 sq ft) – apartment.  In one week and a day I have made it all cozy and comfy.  Last year too much stuff ended up lying about on shelves or in corners or anywhere there was an empty place.  I planned ahead.  A visit to Ikea and Target and my garage for those foldable cubes.  They fit perfectly on my all cupboards and shelves.  Amazing how stuff in a box is more comfortable on one’s eyes.  Feels less crammed in.  And I brought some hooks for the bathroom to hang the hairdryer and mirrors.  And I have a coffee table this year – so much more comfortable to stretch out my legs to read or watch French TV.  Well I guess I really didn’t have to use French as an adjective there…

And I came prepared with silicon caulking.  Last year I worked on the bathroom – it’s tough not to have mold here.  I bought hydrogen peroxide and it wiped most mold off.  But the caulking was a mess.  I bought a very expensive tube at a local Paris store and tried to fix it.  It was not a very good job, barely better than what had been.  When I was back in the States, I watched my handyman recaulk my shower and tub.  So with that knowledge and with a tube of $3 silicon from Home Depot, I attacked the tub shower today.  Scrapped off the old and cleaned it up and then re-caulked.  Fortunately some of the old caulk was still soft.  Knowing what to do and how to do it made the project go much quicker and the results are more pleasing.  Bed room and Living room done with the cubes.  Check.  Bathroom caulked.  Check.  New (but cheap) rugs for bath and WC and bedroom.  Check.

The kitchen remains.  And really all that needed was new curtains.  They are large tall windows.  She had a curious set up with woven placemats taped to the windows.  Hmmm.  I lived through it last year.  With comfort on my mind, I tackled the curtains.  Her idea wasn’t bad – it would be a pain to try to put up real curtains.  So I MacGyvered it with a scarf.  Cut one in half and taped it up.  Fits the bottom panes perfectly.  Unfortunately there was only one white scarf.  I went back tonight and purchased a similar pattern in reds.  I will put that up on the top panes.  – break –  I did put that up.  So fini.  The photo was weird so trust me, it does look better than the placemats…

Advertisements